Friday, December 2, 2011

Free to Spend, Free to Save


Okay, this week's blogging is coming to an end and we've covered a few touchy subjects. From discussing the wisdom in creating a spending plan to rediscovering and prioritizing the true meaning of Christmas, we've considered the ins and outs of the holidays. So, as we close out this school and work week, I'd like to encourage you to approach your spending (whether for Christmas or not), with a clear objective:  to maintain your freedom. If you have money to spend, spend it with a purpose. Be sure to take advantage of sales, deals, discounts, and coupons that will allow you to spend and save at the same time. 

Last week, I visited Kohl's department store where I shopped for clearance items, received an additional 15% off of my purchases at the register, and then earned $30.00 worth of Kohl's cash that I was told I could use on purchases I make this week or next week. As soon as I earned the Kohl's cash, I gave it a purpose. I knew exactly what I was going to use it to buy.

The prison ministry at my home church participates in the Angel Tree program. It is a program that provides much needed clothing, shoes, and even toys for the children of incarcerated parents. I knew immediately that I would get great use out of it for donations to someone's precious little girl. Long story short, I used the Kohl's cash to purchase $131.00 worth of clearance items for $27.00!

I killed two birds with one stone. I added value to someone else without taking value away from my own family (and still have $3.00 worth of Kohl's cash left). In other words, I freely spent and saved money at the same time! Prayerfully, you will choose to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment