Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Practicing What I've Preached



Please accept my sincere apologies for a late blog post today. Usually, I prepare them a few days in advance, or at least the night before. However, today's blog didn't get done early because...well, I was practicing what I preached on the blog yesterday. I was spending quality time with my four sons who are home on Christmas break. You see, because a new year is quickly approaching, I spent most of Sunday evening preparing our minds, money, and moments for 2012. In other words, I was working on the Briscoe Budget for 2012. Needless to say, that took a great deal of my mommy-focus away from the boys so I spent all of Monday making up for lost time. So, here I am on this Tuesday morning trying to make up for my missed time with you.

How are you doing with your time management? Have you been prioritizing the need to savor some precious moments with the people you love (even if it means allowing certain responsibilities to temporarily fall through the cracks)? Trust me, it's not always easy to decide what or who to give the most time to in our busy schedules. Just as is true with our finances, sometimes it's hard to determine what needs our immediate attention and we can't allow indecision to keep us from finding a practical way to prioritize paying them both. The same is true of our time. Perhaps you want to organize your closet and put away those summer clothes, but you've always been wanting to take your daughter skating. Which one will take precedence over the other? Which matters most?

Of course, spending time with your child supersedes organizing your closet, but that doesn't change the fact that both need your attention, does it? Well, first focus on the one while planning to follow through with the other later. And just like me (apologies and all), enjoy what matters most without forgetting the other things that means so much to you (maybe you can invite your daughter to help you in the closet after you leave the rink). Don't allow life's circumstances to make you feel like you can't give the best of yourself to those who need you, and don't succumb to the pressures of your hectic schedule, allowing them to dictate to you which tasks you can or cannot accomplish. You may have to accomplish them a little later than you'd like, but you can get them done. And remember, money will come and go but the time you spend with the people you love will be etched forever in the hearts and minds of those you've shared it with.

Have a fabulous Tuesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment